Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bienvenido a Barcelona

Day 30: Draw a Chair.  I drew this chair once before, as a little mini demo in my book.  I think I also sketched a few of them 100 years ago in design school.  I've always liked them.  They're kind of the Audrey Hepburn of the chair world to me.  Beautiful lines, elegant without being fussy.  Hard to believe it was designed in 1929.  That Ludwig, he was ahead of his time.

Little known fact: It was actually a collaboration between Mies van der Rohe and Lilly Reich, the first woman the join the Deutscher Werkbund.  It's usually attributed just to him, but not so.

Oh my God.  I sound like Cliff Clavin from Cheers.

3 comments:

Marthann's Musings said...

Great chair. I am so behind on my "May" drawings. I am going to still try to get them all done.
Love your work it is always so fun to see.

BARBARA WEEKS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BARBARA WEEKS said...

Love the sketch and the added info! This chair has form and function-it's very comfortable!