Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My First Mural

There's a new daycare opening up in the basement of our office building, where my little studio used to be.  It's the wife of one of Greg's partners who's doing it.  She's having incredible murals painted all over the walls by a really great mural artist named Luke from Kelowna.  They asked me if I'd take a wall and do a piece too.  I said yes, and then after watching Luke go at the rest of the space got totally intimidated.  I put off starting it for about a week, and then finally yesterday I went in and took a look at 'my wall'.  It's in the kitchen, and she asked for a fat chef, and requested he be black, as they're trying to have a good representation of different cultures in these murals.  I did up a little sketch, and then dove in.  I really had no idea what I was doing, but Luke was helpful.  Most of this is done with good ol' wall paint.  I did a little modeling with my acrylics.  I don't think it's finished, but I got a lot further than I thought I would before my attention span expired.

I had no reference photo, other than my little line drawing.  The face needs a little work, and I may make his feet a little bigger.  Other suggestions welcome.
Also, can you tell he's throwing pizza dough, or does it look like some strange capt'n crunch thing on his hat??

4 comments:

The Journal Challenge said...

wonderful drawing....great job
I find it really amazing how you done it! The cook looks so good.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Fab mural.

Claire M said...

This is adorable. What an exciting possible new direction!!

Sketchalina said...

Thanks! This was so fun to do. Now I know why kids are drawn to colour on walls. They're wonderful surfaces to paint on, even this brick one. I'm working on a big chalkboard now, a sign for the business two doors down from this daycare. Also fun.